Committed to the philosophy of Habitat for Humanity, the incumbent will have excellent attention to detail, organized, and mission driven. You are able to work under tight deadlines and with minimum supervision. The Accounting Director will maintain and strengthen the positive brand recognition of Habitat for Humanity New Brunswick.
In collaboration with the CEO the Accounting Director is responsible for the financial reporting, stability, and management for Habitat for Humanity New Brunswick. This position will be based in our Fredericton office.
Habitat for Humanity New Brunswick is a non-profit charitable organization working towards a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Habitat brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. Habitat for Humanity works with families in lower-income situations who otherwise could not afford to purchase a home of their own. We currently have 84 families in homes across the province – and plan to house eight new families in 2023!
- Process payroll in a timely manner;
- Code, track, and pay supplier invoices in a timely manner;
- Maintain the chart of accounts in QuickBooks;
- Assist in preparation and update the annual budget / forecast;
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management;
- Prepare monthly financial statements for the board of directors;
- Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements;
- Assemble information for external auditors for the annual audit;
- Assist in financial reporting to funding partners;
- Track sales taxes paid and report to government for charitable status rebate;
- Ensure that receivables are collected promptly;
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits;
- Record and Issue tax receipts for all donations (using donor management system);
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of bank accounts;
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy;
- Comply with local, provincial, and federal government reporting requirements;
- Follow accounting policies and procedures;
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system;
- Other reporting and financial analysis as requested by CEO and Board finance Committee.
Required skills and abilities
- Accounting designation and/or Business degree with accounting major;
- At least 2 years of relevant experience;
- Accounting software experience;
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel & suite of Office applications;
- Financial acumen;
- Understanding of retail business financial process;
- Real estate financial transaction knowledge;
- Understanding of charitable sector tax and reporting process.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary based on designation/education and experience;
- Employee benefits program (including medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability) along with ample vacation and statutory holiday leave.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume by email to [email protected].